In conjunction with the Drexel University WeServe program and the Drexel University School of Public Health, we will be traveling to Gambia (West Africa) this summer to do work on a number of public health projects related to maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS prevention & education, and chronic disease management.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Who You Are Supporting - Lauren



Hi everyone!  My name is Lauren Forbes and I’m from Portland, Oregon.  I recently graduated from Oregon State University with a B.S in biology and now I'm at Drexel University pursuing a Masters in Public Health with a concentration in Community Health and Prevention.   I’m also a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.  


I’ll be going to the Gambia because there is a critical need for public health outreach in the region, and as public health students, we have a unique opportunity to assist in meeting that need.  Maternal and Child Health, cross-cultural medicine and community development are the areas that I am most interested in and plan to focus on.  While in the Gambia, I’ll be working with the community health outreach sector, looking at the status of maternal mental health and early childhood development.  Through my work there, I hope to help contribute to the effectiveness and sustainability of MCH programs in the region.  This experience will not only be an invaluable growth opportunity for me personally and professionally, but it will also provide support for public health in the Gambia and facilitate lasting partnerships in the country.

To everyone who has supported us thus far, whether it was through a monetary donation or simply a word of encouragement, each and every one of you has helped to make this possible!  Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment